How to Apply for VA Benefits

In order to be certified for VA education benefits through Harford Community College, the following three steps must be completed:

  1. Apply for VA Educational Benefits
    • Visit the United States Department of Veterans Affairs website and complete the application or call the United States Department of Veterans Affairs and speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor at 1-888-GI-BILL-1.
    • After eligibility has been determined by the VA, a certificate or eligibility letter explaining individual educational benefits will be sent to the student.
  2. Apply for Admission to Harford Community College
    • Apply online or visit the Enrollment Services office located in the Student Center on campus.
    • Meet With A Member of Admissions
      Once your application is complete, students will be mailed an acceptance letter with instructions to meet with an Admissions staff member to assist you with the enrollment process (registration) to HCC.
    • Submit Official College and Military Transcripts
      VA Certifications can only be submitted for one semester without receipt of college and military transcripts.
    • Official copies of your military and/or college transcripts should be sent to:
      Harford Community College
      Registration & Records Office
      401 Thomas Run Road
      Bel Air, MD 21015
    • Placement Test
      If you have not successfully completed college-level English and Math, you will need to take the Academic Skills Assessment. The assessment test is administered on campus as well as APG. If you would like to schedule to take the exam at APG, please call 443-412-2100.
    • Academic Advising
      VA students should contact Academic Advising to schedule an appointment for help selecting a major and developing a degree completion plan.
    • Apply for Financial Aid
  3. Submit Certification of VA Educational Benefits from the VA to Harford
  4. The following must be submitted to Harford's Military and Veteran Services office in order to be certified to the VA for educational benefit.

    • Certificate of Eligibility or Eligibility Letter - This letter is sent directly to you from the VA after you submit your application for benefits on VONAPP. It normally takes 30 days after you apply for benefits to receive this letter. If you have not received it after this time period, you should contact the VA (888-442-4551) or Notice of Basic Eligibility (for Reservists).
    • HCC VA Enrollment Packet - The VA Enrollment Form must be submitted each semester that a student plans to use his or her educational benefits. Students will not automatically be certified from one semester to another. VA students must notify Harford's Veterans Services of any change in their enrollment.
    • Parent Letter - If you are taking classes at Harford and another college at the same time and you plan to transfer those credits to a specific degree at the other college, you must submit a Parent Letter from the other college to Harford.

Veterans Affairs
Buffalo Regional Processing Office

For Chapters 30, 33, 35, 1606 and 1607

PO Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616
Phone: 1-888-GI_BILL-1 (442-4551)

Veterans Affairs
Baltimore Regional Office

For Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation

31 Hopkins Plaza
Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: 1-800-827-1000

Military Friendly 2015Top Military Advanced Education and Transition 2016